06 August, 2023

Dye Jobs (and a cat)

 As part of my "stop the burnout" summer*, I've been dyeing, and experimenting with how the colors play together. I'm using Greener Shades acid dyes, with fairly imprecise measurements (I don't have a dedicated dye powder scale, so I just scoop and eyeball it).  These are all on Knit Picks Bare Hawthorne skeins. No handspun in this lot.


a skein of very bright hot pink yarh
"Rabid Peony" 

I dyed this before seeing Barbie, or it might have survived. Instead, I tried an overdye with my trusty Amethyst at 2% and a shot of Ruby, and got "Mixed Berry." I think it's an improvement.

a skein of yarn, mostly hot pink, with dark purple and a splash of bright red at either end
"Mixed Berry"

Trust River Blue and Amethyst, for the win. 

a skein of yarn shading from a deep purple to a vivid cobalt blue
"Be Cool"

This is the same hank from two sides. I was trying to see if blue and red dye made purple easily. I know my color wheel, red and blue make purple, but in practice--in acrylic paints, at least--that theory does not translate well. The interwebz assured me that the dyes mixed well and true, and they do! I was trying to achieve a version of one of those rocket red-white-blue popsicles you see around in ice cream trucks or wherever. The purple is faint, but this gives me hope that should I mix the last of my Ruby and my River Blue, I will get an interesting colorway in actual purples.

a skein of yarn shading from red to blue, passing briefly through purple. Looks like one of those red/white/blue popsickles you can get from ice cream trucks.
"Rocket Pop" 

a skein of yarn shading from red to blue, passing briefly through purple. Looks like one of those red/white/blue popsickles you can get from ice cream trucks.
"Rocket Pop"

And if you've gotten this far: one melted Patchwork Terror. It hasn't been that hot here (we've been lucky!), but it has been humid, and despite shedding another cat every time he touches carpet or upholstery, he's still wearing a fur coat.

a black and white cat lies stretched on the wood floor, clearly hot and trying to cool off
I'm melting...

* I've been writing, too. 80K and climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment